A therapeutic massage aims to treat a specific problem, such as a sports injury, headaches, or carpal tunnel syndrome. The massage is performed by a licensed massage therapist and can occur in a clinical or home setting. It will last approximately 60 to 90 minutes and leave you feeling your best at the end. A therapeutic massage can be good for all sorts of individuals, including athletes, pregnant women, and arthritis patients.
What to Expect From a Therapeutic Massage Therapy Session
If you have never received a professional massage before, a massage therapist will spend a little bit of time asking questions about your medical history. For example, he or she may ask if you are currently taking any prescription medications or if you suffer from certain health conditions. It is important to be completely honest when you answer and not leave any details out. Also, do not be afraid to address any questions or concerns you have with the massage therapist. You may want let your massage therapist know what areas of the body you want worked on and which ones to avoid.
The massage therapist will then leave for a few minutes to give you time to undress. After you have removed your clothes, you can lie down on the massage table and place a sheet over your body.
When the massage therapist comes back in, he or she will begin massaging various parts of your body. Your massage therapist may also turn on quiet music to help relax you. Be sure to tell your massage therapist if he or she is massaging your body too roughly.
During the massage, it is important to clear your mind and take deep breaths. This will relax your muscles and help you get the most out of your massage.
Health Benefits of a Therapeutic Massage
A therapeutic massage can do so much more than just relaxing you after a long day at work. Let's take a closer look at all the health benefits you can experience from getting a massage:
- Ease Depression: If you suffer from depression, you may want to think about scheduling an appointment for a professional massage. It turns out that the human touch can be quite therapeutic. At the end of a massage therapy session, you may be in a much happier mood.
- Improve Sleep: It is not necessary to resort to sleeping pills to prevent sleeping issues. If you get a professional massage, it can relax your body and mind and help you have a more restful night's sleep.
- Soothe Headaches: Tension headaches can lead to severe pain and prevent you from doing your normal activities. If you experience headaches frequently, you might want to give massage therapy a chance. Your massage therapist can work certain pressure points to relieve pain from headaches.
- Prevent Illnesses: Did you know that a professional massage can also boost your white blood cell count? If you get regular massages, you can improve your immune system and avoid catching the flu and other illnesses.
- Ease Pain: Whether you are experiencing pain from a sports injury or arthritis, a therapeutic massage might be able to help. A skilled massage therapist will know the right points in your body to massage to relieve pain. After your session, you will likely feel less pain in your body.
If you are ready to experience all of the benefits a therapeutic massage can provide, you should schedule an appointment with a licensed massage therapist in your area. You will not regret it. Once you are done with your massage therapy session, you will feel a lot better. For more information on therapeutic massage, contact a massage therapist like Chris Teeple Muscle Specialist.