Solutions for Seasonal Allergies

« Back to Home

3 Signs You Should See A Gastroenterologist

Posted on

A gastroenterologist is a type of physician that specializes in the entire digestive system. They are not just a physician that specializes in the stomach; they also specialize in the esophagus, all the way down to the rectum. The entire digestive system is what this type of physician specializes in. If you are experiencing any of the following issues within the digestive system, you should see a gastroenterologist.

1. Problems Going To The Bathroom

If you are having problems with your bowel movements, as in you have runny bowel movements often, or you are straining a lot to go to the bathroom, you should have this looked into. You may be constipated once in a while, but if it is a constant thing for you, you should discuss it with a gastroenterologist. If you are also having issues with diarrhea or you have a lot of loose or watery stools, you should also see this type of physician. Runny stools or constant constipation could be due to a number of things and can lead to other health issues. Both could be caused by your diet, although diarrhea may be due to gastric issues such as Crohn's disorder or even lactose intolerance. 

2. Abdominal Cramping And Pain

If you feel like you have a constant bellyache, it could be a gastric disorder. You could have a blockage in your bowels, or you could have some other issues going on with your body. Going to a gastroenterologist can help determine what is causing your cramping and pain. If the pain is severe and causing you nausea, it can also be a problem. Report all issues to your physician, including what you have been eating.

3. Bloody Stools

Blood in your stools can be caused by several things. It could be due to a hemorrhoid, or it could be something much worse, such as a tumor, cancer, or something else. No matter what the cause, if you are seeing blood in your stools, you need to visit your physician or a gastroenterologist to narrow down the problem. 

If you have any issues with eating or drinking, such as an issue with your esophagus, or any other gastric problem, you should make an appointment with your physician to be referred to a gastroenterologist or just make an appointment with a gastroenterology clinic to rule out any major health concerns and to be treated properly.